Salt Lick Lodge Lodge is a luxury Safari accommodation set in the heart of the Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary - a private wildlife conservancy of 28,000 acres located at the foot of the Taita Hills bordering Tsavo West National Park. Salt Lick Lodge Lodge is one of Kenya’s flagship lodges, famed for being among the World’s Most Photographed Lodges and a favourite amongst travellers seeking for luxury in the wild.
The lodge's name is taken from its setting - a natural salt lick which forms a congregating place for the sanctuary's and neighboring Tsavo National Park salt-hungry wildlife. The Salt Lick Lodge is a unique lodge built on top of stilts overlooking a waterhole. The rooms are linked by elevated walkways to each other and to the main lodge. Wildlife walk under the suspended walkways. Large numbers of wildlife (Taita Hills Wildlife Sanctuary provides a safe environment to over 50 species of mammals and 300 species of birds) come to drink at the waterholes, Salt Lick Game Lodge provides a rare opportunity to view animals at close proximity in their natural habitat. At night, the waterholes are floodlit ensuring that you enjoy an uninterrupted view of the numerous animals arriving to quench their thirst.
Salt Lick Safari Lodge has 96 rooms offering accommodation in double, twin or triple beds. All rooms are spacious, feature en-suite facilities - bathrooms with permanent showers and WC and running hot and cold water. While staying at this accommodation you a chance to enjoy breathtaking views of wildlife from the comfort of your room. In-rooms facilities include mosquito nets, ceiling fan, digital safe deposit, coffee and tea making machines, complementary cookie jar in each room, wardrobes, reading table , hair dryers are available on request at the reception. While staying at this accommodation you a chance to enjoy breathtaking views of wildlife from the comfort of your room. There are electrical outlets in the bathrooms.
Bura Restaurant, with a capacity of 150 people, is Salt Lick Lodge’s the main restaurant. It overlooks the water holes and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner in buffet style with live cooking counters preparing specialty dishes. The meals incorporate vegetables and herbs from the sister lodge - Taita Hills Lodge garden which is located with the game sanctuary. Guests can choose from African, Asian or European items, and these always include vegetarian options.
The restaurant can accommodate all dietary requirements; guests may want to notify them in advance.
Vuria Bar Lounge and it’d adjoining shaded terrace sits above the Bura Restaurant and provides spectacular views of the main waterhole and surrounding grasslands and serves coffee and alcoholic beverages. This is an ideal place for guest to relax and have with their drinks while watching the wildlife below.
Salt Lick Lodge gives it’s guest an opportunity experience Experential Dinning - to enjoy a meal in an unforgettable way and with added value by offering Bush Breakfast, 'Out of Africa' dinners accompanied by live local music and Picnic Hampers.
Other facilities that you can enjoy while staying at the lodge include the Afya Bora Spa. Afya Bora is a Swahili is word for Good Health. The spa will soothe, calm and nurture your body and mind after a long hot and dusty day out in the wild.
Salt Lick Game Lodge Activities
- Early morning and afternoon game drives - Guests can enjoy controlled game drives. Game drives can be done in the early morning and the late afternoon
- Night Game Drives - night drives illuminated with spotlights (at extra cost). Night game drives provide guests with an opportunity of seeing animals not usually encountered on a daytime game drive such as spotted and striped hyena, mongoose, jackal, civet, genet, porcupine and bush baby
- Night talks by local ecologists or rangers can be arranged upon request. Guests can also visit a local African village or other nature sanctuaries.
- An underground tunnel and bunker with ground-level windows provide unbelievably close yet safe access to a variety of wildlife as they drink water.
- Visit the attraction in Tsavo West National Park on a day trip. Tsavo West is famous for its big game and Ngulia Rhino Sanctuary.
- Nature walks
- Excursions to nearby World War 2 sites
- Guests can use the swimming pool at the nearby Sarova Taita Hills Game Lodge and visit its gift shop
Salt Lick Game Lodge is 400 km from Nairobi and 200 km from Mombasa. The lodge is a one-hour flight from Nairobi or 30 minutes from Mombasa by private charter which lands at the Lodge’s own airstrip. The Sanctuary is a 3-hour drive from Mombasa and a 6-hour drive from Nairobi on tarmac roads.